Classique

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween in Southern California

Wow! Where did September and October go? I can't believe how fast time flys when you are trying to keep up with 180 missionaries! President Martin (a.k.a. Jerry) is the main trainer for all the missionaries. He has been rolling out the new "Fundamentals of Preach My Gospel" curriculum that we were sent by the missionary department and the general authorities who oversee missionary work for the Church. The trainings have gone well. Hopefully that will be reflected by an increase in baptisms as the missionaries learn how to teach by the Spirit more powerfully. It is exciting to be a part of this. I am mostly "missionary support." I organize meals to feed those being trained. I also dispense advise to sick and troubled missionaries with the help of Dr. John Lyman our area medical advisor. Flu season is coming up so I expect my phone to be ringing more and more. We have had several injuries and even a few surgeries.

Adam is patient with his two parents. We gave him a home haircut the other night with disasterous results. Jerry had just given him a pretty good #6 haircut with the clippers. I came along and decided to even out some stragglers. I picked up the clippers and to my horror realized I was buzzing the side of Adam's head! (I had not realized that Jerry had taken off the #6 guard.) We had no choice but to buzz all around the sides and back. So, just in time for Halloween, Adam is sporting a Herman Munster haircut. He wore his Texas Rangers baseball cap for a few days. I wanted to take a picture of it to post on this blog site but Adam did not want it posted. I think he looks quite nice. (Maybe the Marine Corps?) He is such a good sport.

We are happy to be adding two new grandkids. Camie and Spencer will be getting their third son in December. Jenae and Brett will get their third daughter in January. This will make our twelfth and thirteenth grandchildren. We will have 6 grandsons and 7 granddaughters. We are excited!!!

6 comments:

  1. haha poor adam! haha I've done that to justin a couple time trying to cut his hair too! haha but i'm working on it, maybe one day I'll get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too know what it feels like to give a Martin boy a haircut that ended with disasterous results. In my defense Jerry, I had only learned how to cut a women's haircut at the time. Though you may never let me take shears to your head ever again, I'll have you know that I cut all the men's hair in my household and even some of my friend's son's hair. Mom and Dad...you are so funny. I love this story especially!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - the story about Adam makes me laugh - I am about to give Ryan a haircut, he may be joining the "disastrous hairclub." We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am banned from cutting Brett's hair, although I don't think I ever gave him a bad haircut. It was just too stressful for me because the whole time, Brett would be stressing out that I was using the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, sorry but I just have to comment on the "word verification" that they just made me type to post my previous comment- "FATIO". Thanks as if I wasn't self conscious enough about my every growing belly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update! Adam's hair is now looking very good. My Uncle Paul Gramlich used to say, "There's only three days difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut." In Adam's case it took a bit longer--but it still worked!

    ReplyDelete